Local Business Support
The following businesses have been financially supportive of the HVEF over the years. Please show your thanks by dining at the following establishments!
Miss Catherine Covert was an elementary teacher in the Huron Valley School District for almost 25 years. She was hired to teach 2nd grade at Lakewood Elementary on January 26, 1988. The following school year she transferred to Baker Elementary and remained there until she passed away August 8, 2009. She loved her job and tried to instill a love of learning in all of her students. Along with teaching the lessons from the district curricula she modeled determination, strength, and acceptance of differences. Being born with Cystic Fibrosis, Miss Covert was required to use oxygen and take medication through an IV while teaching, allowing her students to see that what others see as limitations, others accept and live life to the fullest. She would hope her scholarship can in some small way help teachers and students advance their desire to learn more.
Regina W. Lehker
In addition to being a wonderful mother to four children, she taught preschool and early elementary grades in the Muskegon Public Schools. She was passionate about early childhood education and literacy, she loved our beautiful local library, and she nurtured a love of reading and learning in all four of her kids. Our hope is that the grant funds in her name will be directed toward early childhood or early elementary projects, or more broadly toward literacy efforts whether for children or adults.
- Barbara Gavitt
- Thomas Ormanday
- Dr. Robert and Marie McCauley
- Women in Business Honorary Grant (Highland / White Lake Business Association)
Additional Memorial and One-Time Grants
- In Memory of Kathryn Meagher (multiple grants since 2006)
- In Memory of Louise Bohl (multiple grants since 2008)
- In Memory of Donald Strong (2008)
- In Memory of Robert A. Smith (2005)
- In Memory of Isabel Sellon (2005)
- Ruth Lockwood Memorial Grant (2004)
- Barton Malow Honorary Grant (2004)
- Nettie Nelson Memorial Grant (2004)
- Kurtz Elementary Honorary Grant (2003)
- Fanning / Howey Associates Honorary Grant (2003 & 2004)
- AG Edwards Honorary Grant (2003 & 2004)
- Martin F. Schnaufer Memorial Grant (2002)
- In Honor of HVEF Sponsors & Donors (Swing for Kids Auction - multiple grants)